We are excited to bring you the Arturia MicroFreak; a highly modern synthesiser. This amazing little machine has been built for the serious music-maker and comes with tonnes of brilliant features, like the 11 wavetable and digital oscillator modes made in collaboration with synth experts Mutable Instruments. It also has a in-built sequencer with Spice & Dice function that creates sounds for you to manipulate and have fun with.
However you choose to use this small-but-mighty machine the Arturia MicroFreak is perfect for those who still like the look of a traditional keyboard but are ready for the future of digital music. The completely flat PCB surface has been designed in the style of a traditional keybed but gives a much more impressive performance.
A digital synth like no other, MicroFreak is a peculiar, exceptional instrument that rewards the curious musician. It blends wavetable and digital oscillators with analog filters. It features a unique poly-aftertouch flat keyboard. It adds controlled randomness to sequences. This isn't a revolution, its a mutiny.
Un Grain De Folie / A touch of madness
This out-there little music machine features a versatile digital oscillator so you can create rare and interesting sounds with ease. Modes like Texturer, KarplusStrong, Harmonic OSC, and Superwave give adventurous musicians the chance to explore totally new, unheard possibilities. Like having dozens of synths in just one instrument, both wild-eyed newcomers and seasoned professionals will fall in love with MicroFreaks flexible, powerful synth engine.
Were in this together
While it can be fun to play with yourself, things can get more exciting when theres two.
We love to collaborate, so were excited to bring you the first collaboration between Arturia and acclaimed modular synth pioneers Mutable Instruments. Among the multiple modes of MicroFreaks synth engine, youll be able to select the much-loved Plaits oscillator and with added paraphony.
Now you can enjoy the same otherworldly sounds, the same modes, and with the same parameter controls as the iconic Eurorack module, but from a self-contained, performable hardware synth.
The best of both worlds
Inspired by the trailblazing 12-dB Oberheim SEM filter, you can make MicroFreaks filter scream or whisper to taste. The filter is state-variable, and can even auto-oscillate! You can use this is any way you like, from taking the edge of the razor-sharp wavetable sounds or automating the cutoff by modulating it with keyboard pressure or the in-built sequencer.
Wait. Did we mention that MicroFreak has a sequencer? And a mod matrix? Things are about to get seriously interesting...
Taste the spice, throw the dice
Record up to four automations, edit notes per step or use the innovative Spice and Dice sequencer functions to find happy accidents. Add randomization to create evolving, original patterns, and virtually rewire and reconfigure its signal chain and controls with the 5x7 modulation matrix.
That's a funny looking keyboard
That's right, it is. It isn't really even a keyboard. Its a PCB. Super-flat, with no moving parts.
Will it track lightning-fast synth solos? You bet. Better than a traditional keyboard, actually.
Will it let you be expressive? Of course, its not only pressure sensitive, but also offers poly-aftertouch. This means each key can control parameters in a different way depending on how much you touch.
You can also use its USB, MIDI, and CV outputs to control instruments in your DAW and modular synths. This also means that you can also use MicroFreak as a controller to experience polyphonic aftertouch with cutting edge software instruments.
V4.0 Firmware Update
- Added a new “WaveUser” Oscillator with 16 embedded Arturia Wavetables
- Reworked “Wavetable” Ocscillator’s audio engine
- Load your own wavetables using Midi Control Center
- Import any WAV or AIFF file into Wavetables using Midi Control Center
- Octave Led Blinking can now be disabled from Utility menu
- Oscillator’s encoder speed can be modified from Utility menu
- Sequencer can now play with the Chord mode and Unison
- Removed “User Preset Erase” feature
- No more clicks when modulating wavetable position on “WaveTable” Oscillator
- Screen doesn’t randomly focus on parameters anymore
- Native wavetable and digital oscillator modes:
- Karplus Str.
- Mutable Instruments open-source oscillator modes:
- V. Analog
- Two Op. FM
- Noise Engineering oscillator modes:
- Multimode analog filters: Low-pass, band-pass, high-pass
- Poly-aftertouch flat keyboard
- 4-voice paraphonic mode
- Up to 4-voice unison
- Arpeggiator and sequencer with Spice & Dice randomization
- 320 factory presets and space for 64 user sounds;
- Crystal-clear OLED screen
- 5x7 modulation matrix
- USB, MIDI, and CV outputs
- Use MicroFreak as a controller to experience polyphonic aftertouch
- MicroFreak unit
- Power supply
Size & weight:
- Instrument size : 12.2 x 9.2 x 2.2 inches (311 x 233 x 55mm)
- Instrument weight : 2.3 lbs. (1.02 Kg)