The TR-8 is a performance rhythm machine that while combining the sound and vibe of the TR-808 and TR-909 also brings them up-to-date with modern features and functions.
With the TR-8, Roland have analysed and re-created every detail and nuance of the analogue circuitry of these legendary rhythm machines. The boom and snap of the 808. The thud of the 909. The robotic click of an 808 rim shot or a classic 909 snare roll. It's all here.
Not content with mere recreations however, they have enhanced these classic instruments with capabilities far beyond the original units.
Tune and Decay knobs are now present on every instrument and the Bass and Snare drum modules have dedicated "Attack" and "Comp" knobs allowing for a great variety of tones - from subtle ambient percussion to pounding dance grooves. Per-step effects and the massively addictive "Scatter" function take things into entirely new territory.
With the authentic tone and character of the original units and with new sound tweaking capabilities inspired by legions of users, the TR-8 breathes new life into the sounds we all know and love.
Make no mistake - the TR-8 is an instrument, carefully designed from the ground-up, to be played. Every control has a solid, predictable feel with each drum instrument having robust, "playable" faders. Numerous lighted knobs and RGB-lit buttons give realtime performance feedback and a striking appearance on stage.
Pattern creation is creative and intuitive using an evolved version of the TR-REC method which originated in the TR-808 and eventually became the standard for electronic rhythm programming. Based on detailed analysis of the original TR-808, the TR-REC behaviour has been faithfully modelled in the TR-8. But the TR-8 goes well beyond the original, allowing you to seamlessly switch between programming and performance modes and to introduce lots of groovy rhythmic variations - from subtle snare fills to total glitch meltdowns.
Just like the original:
- Full reproduction of the original TR-808 and TR-909 rhythm machines based on original design spec sheets and detailed analogue circuit analysis of various specimens including Roland's own pristine units
- Newly developed Analogue Circuit Behaviour (ACB) technology allows part-by-part analyses and faithful recreation of tonality and behaviour including the smooth variations of tone that occur when you work the controls of each instrument
- Obsessive attention to detail - like reproducing the original TR's unique variations in tone that occur when multiple instruments are entered in accented steps
- Faithful TR-REC behaviour for pattern creation
- Large tempo control knob and a Fine adjustment knob for total tempo control
- 16-step sequencer allows you to switch between variations [A] and [B] as well as continuous playback
- Play drum instruments and record to steps in real-time
- Build dream kits made up of different instruments from the TR-808 and TR-909
- 16 stunning kits made up of 11 instrument types
- Control the intensity of the Accent function with a dedicated knob
- Per-step Gate Reverb and Delay effects with dedicated, realtime knobs
- Mix sources connected to the External Inputs
- Built-in Side Chain function creates rhythmic ducking and gating effects on External Inputs with per-step control
- Two assignable analogue outputs and full parallel outputs via USB for total mixing flexibility
- Scatter lets you freak and tweak your grooves with realtime control and perfect sync
- 16 per-step pads with bold, full-color LEDs clearly show the current status
- Realtime pattern creation up to 32 steps
- Change the pattern step count seamlessly and on the fly
- Rec/Play modes have been eliminated enabling seamless pattern making and performance
- Seamless switch between step input and playing pads in realtime to create patterns
- Realtime play of 4 different types of rolls (8th, 16th, VARI 1, VARI 2)
- Quickly Mute/Unmute individual instruments during performance or production
- Shuffle function from original TR-909 now has a knob for continuous realtime control
- Pattern randomizing function induces creativity and brings spontaneity to live performance
- 7 segment, 4 character LED display shows the current tempo and has Tap function
- Pattern copy makes it easy to create pattern variations
User Drum Kits: 16
User Patterns: 16
Steps per 1 measure: 1 - 16 steps x 2 (Variation A/B)
Tempo: 40 - 300
Instruments & Controls
BASS DRUM: LEVEL, TUNE, ATTACK, COMP, DECAY, INST SELECT
SNARE DRUM: LEVEL, TUNE, SNAPPY, COMP, DECAY, INST SELECT
LOW TOM, MID TOM, HIGH TOM, RIM SHOT, HAND CLAP, CLOSED HIHAT, OPEN HIHAT, CRASH CYMBAL, RIDE CYMBAL: LEVEL, TUNE, DECAY, INST SELECT
Effects and Controls
ACCENT: LEVEL, STEP
REVERB: LEVEL, TIME, GATE, STEP
DELAY: LEVEL, TIME, FEEDBACK, STEP
EXTERNAL IN: LEVEL, SIDE CHAIN, STEP
TR-REC, PATTERN SELECT, INST PLAY, INST REC, DRUM KIT SEL, DRUM INST SEL
MODE buttons: 6
VARIATION buttons: A, B
LAST STEP button
SCATTER ON button
SCATTER DEPTH button
Power Switch (Rear)
Display: 7 segments, 4 characters (LED)
Effects: REVERB, DELAY, SIDE CHAIN
Scatter: Types: 10
Nominal Input Level: -10 dBu
Input Impedance: 100 k ohms
Nominal Output Level: -10/+4 dBu (Selectable)
MIX OUT, ASSIGNABLE OUT: 1 k ohm
PHONES: 130 ohms
PHONES jack: 1/4-inch stereo phone type
MIX OUT (L/MONO, R) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
ASSIGNABLE OUT (A, B) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
EXTERNAL IN (L, R) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
USB port: USB type B (Audio, MIDI)
DC IN jack
USB: Audio, MIDI
Power Supply: AC adaptor
Current Draw: 1,000 mA
Leaflet "USING THE UNIT SAFELY"
Size and Weight
Width (W): 400 mm15-3/4 inches
Depth (D): 260 mm10-1/4 inches
Height (H): 65 mm2-9/16 inches
Weight: 1.9 kg4 lbs. 4 oz.
* 0 dBu = 0.775 Vrms
There are currently no reviews for this product.
Be the first the write a review.